Black Bean Burgers
- 15 oz can blacks beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (use gluten-free certified if making GF)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO for short)
- Whole wheat bun
- Lettuce, tomato, avocado (whatever toppings you desire, I made a sriracha aioli-yum!)
- Mash black beans with a fork or pastry cutter until mostly smooth with some texture left.
- Add egg, onion, oats, and seasonings until mixed well.
- Add EVOO to a skillet on medium heat.
- Form mixture into 2-inch diameter patties. Mixture will make about 12 patties.
- Serve on whole wheat bun if you want a traditional burger or top off a southwestern type salad with these burgers for a gluten-free option!
**recipe adapted from here**
Not only are these black beans burgers easy to make but they are full of nutrients! This dish fits into many different diet lifestyles such as vegetarian, gluten-free, Mediterranean diet, and your average Joe! Lately, more and more research is coming out about the benefits of legumes (beans are a legume) due to their high amount of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals! Vitamins and minerals are micronutrients and these black beans pack a punch of micronutrients:
- B vitamins
Stay tuned to learn more about nutrient density, micronutrients, fiber, and more!